Monday, May 31, 2010

My Memorial Day

Last night, I flopped on the bed, flipped on the t.v. and coasted though the "On Demand" movies not yet watched. I came across Taking Chance an HBO movie that I have been dying to see since my sister gave me a mini review months ago. Anyway, not even realizing it at the time, it was the absolute perfect movie to celebrate Memorial Day. It was amazing and touching beyond words.
I woke up this morning with no plans. While enjoying coffee with news, I saw several spots re: Memorial Day celebrations in and around the city. I saw there was one at the San Francisco National Cemetery, the Presidio, parade at 10:30 and ceremony at 11:00am. It was 9:15, so I put on my Nikes, packed a bag and started the 3 mile walk. I got there just in time and here are some of the pictures.

More than 35,000 veterans and their families are buried at the San Francisco National Cemetery in the Presidio from conflicts dating back to the 1846 U.S.-Mexican War.






San Fracisco National Cemetery Entrance.
Bay area JROTC.


Allied nations to the United States represented.
Cable Car Chorus sang the "National Anthem" & "God Bless America."
U.S. Army Color Guard.
Pipes & Drums, 191st Army Band, performed Taps and "Amazing Grac" amoung other medleys.
Flags of the United States.
 
United States Air Force wreath.
After the ceremony, park rangers lead a guided walking tour up to the new overlook and throughout the cemetery with information on the lives of Medal of Honor awardees and other noteworthy soldiers.
These were taken at the top of the cemetery at the entrance to the Overlook.
The Overlook is really breathtaking even on a cloudy & cold day. At the entrance there is a sitting area with benches, from there the path leads back and up through the eucaliptus trees. Along the way, the path is marked with stone carvings containing excerpts from Archibald MacLeish's poem "The Young Dead Soldiers."



On my way down, I noticed several headstones with wive's names on the back. The ranger said that they did at one time bury spouses together, behind or on top of soldiers. I couldn't help but take some pics.
Bertha.
Margaret Edna.
Hattie M. Aren't they so sweet!
Check them out. They were no joke, I think speaking Russian or something? Really cool & impressive in person.
Cute little girl with sailor top.
How cute are these two? Hoping they wouldn't think I was weird, I stopped them and showed them the picture, they were really sweet. I sent them a copy.
Seriously, couldn't resist!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been there. These are great pictures,Thanks for reminding us of what Memorial Day is all about. I can't wait to watch Taking Chance.love,meg

    ReplyDelete