Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cinema Anyone?

A visit to a cinema is a little outing in itself. It breaks the monotony of an afternoon or evening; it gives a change from the surroundings of home, however pleasant.
Ivor Novello

What's better on a rainy day than catching a movie or two or three or...
It started as Monday movie day...
In the rain, I walked over to the Opera Plaza Cinema to see MID-AUGUST LUNCH. A sweet and touching little movie that did not disappoint! It was an encouraging example on making the best of every situation...The hero's (Gianni) coping skills included a good sense of humor and a glass of wine, always. I'm not sure if it was the setting of Rome or the language itself, but every single character is as charming as the next. Short & Sweet, definitely a go see! Click on this link above and watch the trailer.

Tuesday, the Sun came out today, I walked down to the Embarcadero to see this year's surprise winner of the foreign-language Oscar, Argentine's "The Secret in their eyes". I'm not anywhere in the vicinity good enough to express how impressive this movie is especially the love story. Just trust me, it has everything, good guys, bad guys, love, hate, intrigue, mystery, passion, action, anticipation and much, much more (FYI there is a hard to watch rape scene in begining-just close your eyes. Oops! Almost forgot naked man). I'm just gonna say, I'm pretty proud of myself for figuring out a few things before revealed. Go see this movie! It's sooo good! Love it. Click on above link to watch trailer.

Wednesay was Bill's day off and actually his idea to see a movie, so his choice! "Robin Hood".  It was better than I expected and to be honest, I could have sat there another hour (with potty break) watching this play out. Most of the movie was the setup for the Robin Hood story we are most familiar, I'm guessing we will see many more to come and to be honest again, I can't wait. Russell Crowe totally lived up and so did Cate Blanchette as maid marian, both in all around good company. Really enjoyed it. A must see in the theatre, go on you know you want to see it. P.S. I'm really liking Russell Crowe as a real life person lately he seems some what humble and almost ordinary/normal, unlike the narcississtic Tom Cruz(see new Oprah interview). Sorry, he really bugs me a lot, a lot! 

Thursday, this was my mom's pick and she raved over it. I actually tried to see it on Monday, but only shows at 4:40pm and Bill worked early every day this week, so you know, I have to be home for my man...slipper's, pipe, paper and a hot meal, don't you know. Yeah right, he deserves that and a lot more. However, I have a hard time delivering in that area. So, anyway this will be my venture next week cuz my mom is the queen of finding a great movie, so it must be good!


Friday, I rented An Education  On Demand. I wanted to see this movie when it first came out, but for some reason it never lined up. My sis just watched it with her soon 2B 21 yr old daughter and was disappointed, I'm guessing it was the scenario of a suave older gentelman (seemingly too good to be true) whooing/taking advantage of a young girl, hit too close to home. After watching, I understood why. I don't have a daughter, but I don't think you need one to feel that angnst of watching someone obviously intelligent head right into the flames of the fire. With that said, I still really loved it. It's a growing up movie with lots of lessons. This novel was written by Nick Hornby who also wrote "About a Boy" and "High Fidelity", which I also liked, go figure. Anyway, I love Peter Sarsgaard, Olivia Williams and Rosemund Pike in anything and I think Carey Mulligan is on her way to being the new Julia Roberts except way better! Can't wait for that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment