Saturday, April 24, 2010

Turn the t.v. off and find the artist within...

My girl buddy Kelie stopped by last night for a glass of wine and to borrow my Jack Lalanne Pro-juicer Plus (don't laugh it's amazing) for her 3-day total body cleanse, mind-body-spirit.  It's 3 days of drinking juice, journaling, meditating/praying, no t.v., no people etc. Anyway, it inspired me to try and stay away from the t.v. this weekend. I knew I would need two things if I was to accomplish my own mini cleanse...a book and a project. Got up this morning and walked over to my favorite Gw (1580 Mission St.) which has an amazing book section and Found  "The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette." by Carolly Erickson and "getting over it" by Anna Maxted. I already knew, I would start with the snarky one first. Done.

I was also determined to find some cheap frames to hold these sweet little gems that William painted in the 1st grade. They have been sitting in a broken frame for about  2 years since our move to San Francisco. Anyway, got busy and when I took the painted ponies out of the frame I found the origins of his masterpiece.
Such a sweet little memory, God knew I needed that. So, it turns out that William's painting was inspired by Russian-born French painter and designer Marc Chagall.

One of the most signifigant painters and graphic artists of the 20th century. Go figure. I was familiar with the name  Marc Chagall as an artist from an art history class, but can't say I remember anything or could pick out one of his paintings from a line up. So, I googled him and had my own art history lesson. A very interesting and full life.
As it turns out, he did have a fondness for horses and  bright colors among other "happy" things. I love to see the similarities of their work as interpeted by a 1st grader. Could I be biased?

 This one was William's self-portrait inspiration: Picasso. I think he's either spinning a basketball or shooting fire from his finger, not sure. I'll have to ask Will if he remembers?













"All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
                                       Pablo Picasso

2 comments:

  1. Ah! I love his portrait! So cute. Love your idea of turning off the TV. Ew. I've been so bad...house sitting for the last 10 days and have done nothing but watch TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is adorable, just like you!!! You totally inspire me! I love all the apartment photos, You have the most creative space. LOVE the sewing nook and all the Tiffany bags... and the clock section!!! love,meg

    ReplyDelete